Moroccan Court Extends Sentence of Activist for Criticizing Earthquake Response
The Moroccan appeals court escalated activist Said Ait Mahdi’s prison sentence to one year from three months for defamation, following his criticisms of governmental earthquake response. Three other defendants received four-month sentences for similar charges. The government is facing scrutiny as it implements a substantial reconstruction plan following the earthquake that devastated El Haouz province, resulting in significant casualties and displacement.
A Moroccan appeals court has increased the prison sentence of activist Said Ait Mahdi from three months to one year for defamation, as confirmed by his lawyer on Tuesday. Ait Mahdi, leader of a group focused on assisting victims of the 2023 earthquake in Morocco, has been incarcerated since December 23 due to his criticism of the government’s response to the disaster. Initially sentenced for defamation and privacy infringement, the appeals court in Marrakesh has now imposed a harsher penalty, which his attorney, Mohamed El Ghalloussi, described as both “very harsh” and “shocking.”
In addition to Ait Mahdi, three other individuals who previously received acquittals were convicted and sentenced to four months in prison for insulting public officials. These sentences emanated from complaints by local authorities regarding social media posts they deemed offensive. El Haouz province, significantly affected by the 6.8-magnitude earthquake in September 2023, has experienced substantial devastation, including around 3,000 fatalities, over 5,600 injuries, and the destruction of approximately 60,000 homes, forcing many families to endure the harsh winter in temporary shelters.
Ait Mahdi’s organization has been advocating for expedited reconstruction initiatives and additional support for displaced communities. In December, the Moroccan government announced the issuance of 57,000 reconstruction permits and confirmed that over 35,000 homes were either built or under construction. Additionally, authorities have allocated $11 billion for a comprehensive five-year reconstruction and development strategy aimed at benefiting the six provinces impacted by the earthquake.
In summary, the appeals court’s decision to extend Said Ait Mahdi’s prison sentence reflects the government’s rigorous stance against criticism in the wake of the 2023 earthquake. Activists continue to voice concerns about reconstruction efforts and the provision of aid to the affected populations. With significant losses and ongoing hardships for many families, the need for swift action and transparency remains critical as authorities implement recovery plans.
Original Source: newscentral.africa
Post Comment